Saturday, November 21, 2009

Singapore!!!!!!!


I just returned from an adventure packed 48 hours in Singapore. What an awesome city. Ten adjectives to describe Singapore: immaculate, fun, green, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, expensive, delicious, convenient, fashionable, fantabulous! I think that about says it all. We flew into Singapore on Thursday afternoon. Talk about culture shock! Even the public transportation there is clean. It doesn't smell like pee or anything. It was raining when we got in so we spent the afternoon wandering around a nearby mall, marveling at all the delicious food :) That evening we headed out to the PiA party. It was so much fun. It was at a swank wine bar and there was free wine and hors d'oeuvre. Sadly the food did not cut for three eaters like us, so after the party we hit up a 24-hrs McDonalds. Sadly, it was as bad as I remember it being in the states.

Friday we woke up early to explore the city. Kyle and I got up at 6:45, as planned, but Mike didn't think we would actually get up, so he slept in for two extra hours! We finally got out of the hostel and had a delicious breakfast of pancakes and sausages...Yummy. We spent most of the day just walking around taking in the sights. We went to Chinatown and a woman who had a calligraphy stand asked me if I could take a her picture for her brochure. One picture turned into many pictures and we had ourselves a regular old photoshoot. As a thank you she painted my name for half-price. I walked around some more and went back to retrieve my name and she had me take even more photos of her. I felt bad for Mike and Kyle they had to wait around, while the woman decided whether she liked her smile in each of the pictures I took..hahaha!

After walking around all day, we changed and went to watch a Singapore Symphony Orchestra concert. We were so close to missing it. They were just closing the doors when we showed up and we had to run to get to our seats. It was a really good concert. Even though I was exhausted I stayed awake for the whole thing. There was a cellist who played an amazing solo. After the concert we sat down by the water and then spent the next two hours hunting for food. We finally just went to a little place on the corner near the hostel and had delicious chicken, curry and rice for super cheap. I knew the restaurant had to be good cause there was a line out the door at 11:30 at night. We wanted to go out, but had to pack and get some sleep cause our plane left at 6:45 this morning. When I got home, I was so tired I took a four hour nap. I could probably have slept all day.

No comments: