Thursday, April 3, 2008

Still Alive

Hello everyone it has been awhile, sadly not because I have been off on an adventure.  Mostly just being extremely ill and becoming very intimate with the toilet and my bed.  Since I have been sick I have had a lot of free time to do nothing, I devised an informative list of things I've learned about Bangladesh, because I am sure you are all planning to visit me :).
1.  The power WILL go out at least once a day, but usually more often
2.  There is not always a logical explanation, for example, why would the landlord by locks from China if he cannot get the keys made in Bangladesh. I don't know
3.  People do not run across the street even if they are about to be hit by a bus, but I do.
4.  I will stick out no matter how hard I try to blend in.
5.  You will probably want to take half the children you see home with you, because they are adorable.
6.  English signs are never quite right.
7.  The bugs are big and very fast.
8.  You will get eaten by mosquitos no matter how much bug spray you wear.
9.  Bangla accent + English speaking = Banglish (very hard to understand)
10. Scarves are for covering boobies, not for looking good.
11.  Nobody wears shorts even if it is really hot out. :(
12.  You will forget that you are wearing boxers when you put the garbage outside of the apartment and will have to be reminded by your roomie, because the old man is staring at your knees.
13.  "Everything in Bangladesh is broken"- direct quote from someone we met here in Bangladesh, but our washing machine is proving it true.


Thats all for now.  Hopefully next blog will be a little more exciting.  Bye.

2 comments:

Bhaboghure Jhor said...

I hope next blog comprises list of things those encourage others to come here. :D

pritorius said...

The point no. 12 reminded me of a story told by my friend. He was once at the beach of pattaya Thailand. He, with some other friends were walking along the beach. All the people were lying on the beach , walking , running , swimming, all naked.But my friend the other guys with him were improperly dressed (!!) . The people on the beach took a good deal of amusement seeing them with some clothes on their body. You know , this is nothing but cultural difference. A girl is wearing boxer, is not a common thing in our country. So, showing off body parts may be very common in other countries , may be there are places where it is unnatural if one does not show off his/her body, but is not common in out country. You can rest assured that the old man was not getting any wild fantasies by looking at your knees. It was just uncommon to him thats all...